Misfitopia
Sign in to follow this  
monogodo

Catholic Bishop Ordination

monogodo    9

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but my wife works for the Communications Department of the Diocese in Dallas. As part of that, she gets to take pictures and live tweet various special events & Masses. Yesterday, they ordained a new Auxiliary Bishop.

There were approximately 1000 people at the Cathedral. Included in that total were 25 Bishops & Archbishops (including the Papal Nuncio to the US), a Cardinal, over 125 priests, and I have no idea how many seminarians, nuns & other religious.

I think I took one picture while I was there: the view from the pew I sat in, before anyone arrived. I'll try to get pics from the Diocese's Facebook feed, if anyone is interested.

Dave    29

What is an Auxiliary Bishop? The best description I could find is that it's sorta like an extra bishop to do more bishop-y things. But I don't understand the distinction.

If you happen to know, what year was that church built? I'm just curious.

monogodo    9

What is an Auxiliary Bishop? The best description I could find is that it's sorta like an extra bishop to do more bishop-y things. But I don't understand the distinction.

If you happen to know, what year was that church built? I'm just curious.

According the Cathedral's website, the cornerstone of the Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe was laid June 17, 1898, and the church was formally dedicated on October 26, 1902. I know that it initially didn't have the bell tower that it now has, although it was designed to have it. They raised funds and added it fairly recently, I want to say they had it finished in time for the Centennial anniversary of the dedication in 2002.

As for an Auxiliary Bishop, the best description I've found is from Bishop Farrell, the Bishop of Dallas:

...I have been asked “what is the distinction between an auxiliary bishop and a diocesan bishop?” The simple answer is jurisdiction.

A diocesan bishop in “in charge” of a diocese, he has the triple responsibility of being pastor, teacher and sanctifier for all those who reside in the territory of the diocese as defined by the Church. An auxiliary bishop assists the diocesan bishop and has only the jurisdiction given to him by the diocesan bishop.

Of course all bishops are fully bishops, the term auxiliary describes his role or responsibilities....

So they're kinda like an Assistant Manager - they can do almost everything the Manager can do.

A lot of times the Assistant Bishop position is used to train a bishop. The Assistant Bishop that the new one replaced was named Ordinary Bishop of the Diocese of El Paso about a year ago. It was just announced yesterday that the other Assistant Bishop in the Diocese has been appointed Ordinary Bishop of the Diocese of Lafayette, Louisiana. So Dallas will be back down to only one Assistant. And Bishop Farrell was an Assistant Bishop in the Archdiocese of Washington prior to being appointed Bishop of the Diocese of Dallas.

And since I know you'll ask, what's the difference between an Archdiocese and a Diocese?

Catholic Straight Answers has a great explanation. I'd quote it here, but it's rather long. The tl;dr version is this, an archdiocese is a large, or important, diocese. An archdiocese is also called a metropolitan see, which is the “head” diocese of an ecclesiastical province, and as such, will have suffragan dioceses. Essentially, an ecclesiastical province is a large geographical area consisting of many dioceses. The bishop in charge of a metropolitan see is an Archbishop (or sometimes a Cardinal). The Archbishop runs his archdiocese, and kinda-sorta oversees the suffragan dioceses. The Diocese of Dallas is within the ecclesiastical province of San Antonio.

Ecclesiastical_Province_of_San_Antonio_m